The News Site of Garden State Scholastic Press Association

Advisers spring into action

May 4, 2019

• John Temple, layout editor for The New York Times, talking about "Making Pages Look their Best"

• Bill Rawson, newspaper adviser at Pascack Valley High School, chats about tips and tricks for online publications.

• Jane Primerano, independent journalist, emphasizes the importance of finding primary sources and evaluating news sources.

• Ron Bonadonna, CJE, discusses how you can benefit from a journalism mentoring program.

• Advisers of journalism and yearbook programs from across New Jersey shared curriculum ideas at various round table discussions. Greg Gagliardi of Cherry Hill High School East speaks here about his experiences in preparing for national conventions.

April Catuogno

• John Tagliareni encourages support of New Voices legislation.

• Katy Temple of Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ, speaks about developing student interest in New Voices at the college level.

• The Garden State Scholastic Press Association board members April Catuogno, Secretary; Bill Rawson, President; Alana VanDerSluys, Vice President; Sue Everett, Treasurer; and Jill Ocone, Vice President.

About two dozen journalism and yearbook instructors from around the state exchanged lesson plans, learned new teaching strategies and explored various publication tips at the 2019 Garden State Scholastic Press Association’s spring conference. Rutgers University’s Douglass Student Center in New Brunswick hosted the event on May 3.

Informal round table discussions took place among attendees, some of whom are also GSSPA members. Round table topics included planning online publications, strategizing page layout and design, and meeting students’ needs. Other discussions focused on mentoring and its benefits, rescuing students from fake news, and preparing for national journalism conventions.

The GSSPA recognized its two 2019 scholarship winners. Andrew Rowan of Moorestown Friends School is the winner of the $5,000 Bernard Kilgore Memorial Scholarship, and Sarah Dougherty of Kinnelon is the recipient of the $2,000 Bob Stevens Scholarship.

Longtime journalism adviser John Tagliareni spoke about New Voices. New Voices in New Jersey is part of a broader national campaign to pass legislation that will further protect the rights of student journalists and their advisers. Katy Temple, a student at Bergen Community College in Paramus, talked about her role in boosting awareness of the movement on local college campuses.